The latest Health and Safety Statistics have been released by the HSE which covers health, safety and enforcement in Great Britain through 2012 to 2013. The key annual figures include:
- 148 workers killed at work – data over the past five years indicate a levelling off in the previous downward trend.
- 78,222 injuries to employees were reported under RIDDOR – due to changes in legal reporting requirements it is not possible to compare directly with previous years although statistical modelling suggests the downward trend is continuing.
- An estimated 175,000 reportable injuries leading to over-7-day absence occurred (Labour Force Survey).
- An estimated 5.2 million working days were lost due to workplace injury in 2012/13, on average 8.1 days per injury.
- In 2011, there were 2291 mesothelioma deaths caused by past exposure to asbestos, a reduction compared with the previous year (2360 in 2010). Despite this, the number is expected to continue to increase in future years before peaking towards the end of this decade.
- 13,503 enforcement notices were issued by HSE and local authorities in 2012/13, a decrease of 15% from the previous year.
- HSE (and the Procurator Fiscal in Scotland) completed 597 prosecution cases (covering 973 offences) and secured a conviction in 95% of cases.
- Workplace injuries and ill health (excluding cancer) cost society an estimated £13.8 billion (in 2010/11, based on 2011 prices) – down from the 2006/7 estimate of £16.3 billion.
You can read more statistics via the HSE Annual Statistics Report
Prevent Your Workforce Becoming Part of the Health & Safety Statistics
Let Envirocare come and assess your business and identify areas where you can save and make noticeable Health and Safety achievements. Envirocare can assure you of the highest possible level of service around and currently service several high and low profile customers in the UK.
Envirocare offer one off consultations, bespoke services and a ‘Competent Person Scheme’ which operates on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis, or to the time scale chosen by the you.
Call us on 01274 738668 or fill out our Envirocare Enquiry Form for any queries regarding our Health and Safety Consultancy services or if you feel that you could benefit from our services in this field.